What is Auditory Processing Disorder?
Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) is a neurological disorder impacting the way the brain processes information and will often affect attention, speech reading and following direction. APD affects 5% of school-age children. Boys are twice as likely as girls to have auditory processing disorder.
Other Known Names
Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)
- Head Trauma
- Lead Poisoning
- Ear Infection
- Often not known.
Signs and Symptoms
- Noisy environment upsetting
- Difficulty in understanding verbal direction and communication
- Difficulty in following directions
- Distracted by background noise
- Auditory difficulties including, discrimination, memory and sequencing
Websites and Resources on Auditory Processing Disorder
Organizations and Foundations