February has arrived!! here in the northeast, it is seasonably warm , but still the month known for groundhog and valentine’s day. The following are February observances, celebrations, events, and holidays that can be used as ideas for your Day Habilitation Program.
Keep in mind the following when planning activities for individuals with special needs:
- People with intellectual/developmental disabilities are more likely to learn when using a multi-sensory approach which includes engaging people on all levels where they are able to use some of their senses. For example a cooking activity should include, allowing individuals to see what they are doing, taste, smell, and touch, etc.
- Make sure each activity is broken into small steps
- Use continuous probing
- Provide prompting strategies such as independence, verbal, gestural, hand over hand and physical prompting.
- Allow extra time to complete the task
- Give immediate feedback including praise.