Learn to identify coins is one of the first steps in learning to count and understanding money management skills. The following worksheets will help to reinforce the ability to recognize the various denominations of coins.
The lesson plan below is a helpful tool to reinforce recognizing coins. Children with intellectual disabilities and special needs learn best through visual demonstrations and pictures. Remember to allow extra time to complete the task and use simple directions.
Lesson Plan: Identify Coins
Objective: the Student will successfully identify coins
Performance Criteria: The student will identify the correct coin, 3 out of 5 trials
- coin worksheets
- actual penny, nickle, dime and quarter
- the instructor will use real coins and identify the coin to the student
- the instructor will use one coin at a time, starting with the smallest demoninator
- The instructor will pick up the penny and state, “this is a penny.”
- The instructor will then ask the student to pick up the penny
- The instructor will aske the student to describe the penny
- The instructor will ask the student the value of the penny.
- Once completed, the instructor will have the student complete the worksheet
- The insstructor will continue with the rest of the coins.