Januay is considered the coldest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. The following are January observances, celebrations, events, and holidays that can be used as ideas for your Day Habilitation Program.
You can download the PDF format here:January Day Habilitation Activity Ideas
Keep in mind the following when planning activities:
- People with intellectual/developmental disabilities are more likely to learn when using a multi-sensory approach which includes engaging people on all levels where they are able to use some of their senses. For example a cooking activity should include, allowing individuals to see what they are doing, taste, smell, and touch, etc.
- Make sure each activity is broken into small steps
- Use continuous probing
- Provide prompting strategies such as independence, verbal, gestural, hand over hand and physical prompting.
- Allow extra time to complete the task
- Give immediate feedback including praise.