Orange is a color that is associated with the fall months of October and November. It can also be used as a training activity for people with developmental disabilities.
Facts about the color orange:
- Orange is the color between red and yellow
- It is associated with amusement, extroverts, warmth, fire ,energy, danger taste, aroma and autumn
- It is the national color of Netherlands
- It is the symbolic color of Buddhism and Hinduism.
Activity: What’s in the Box
Learning Objective: to identify various items using a multi-sensory approach
- shoe box
- candy corn
- circus peanuts
Instructions: Place all items into an empty container such as a shoe box. Once completed, have participants sit in a circle and pass around the box. Give each person an opportunity to touch the object and to guess the name of the object. For people with a severe cognitive level or multi-disabilities, provide hand over hand guidance.
Discuss with the group or class the various sizes, the aroma, etc.
- You can also do a compare and contrast activity by adding items into the box of different colors and having the group choose the orange items.
- Have the group create a collage by cutting out items in a magazine that are orange. This will help with improving fine motor skills.